Central African Republic: Five dead after rebel attack – Al Jazeera English


The attack comes as national reconciliation talks began this week with neither the opposition nor rebels in attendance.
Five people have been killed in an attack by armed rebels on an army base in the Central African Republic (CAR), regional officials have said.
On Thursday, deputy prefect Jean Ulrich Semberkpanga said three of the dead in the four-hour attack on Tuesday were civilians – two women and a boy. Martin Kossi, the prefect of the Ouham-Pende region, said two soldiers from the CAR’s armed forces had also died.
The attack occurred in Nzakoungou near the borders with Chad and Cameroon, he said.
Authorities have implicated rebels of the Return, Reclamation, Rehabilitation (3R) faction, one of the region’s most powerful armed groups, presenting itself as a Fulani self-defence militia.
A civil war in the CAR that began in 2013, pitting multiple militias against a state on the verge of collapse, had eased considerably in recent years.
But about a year ago, fighting resumed abruptly when rebels launched an offensive to overthrow President Faustin-Archange Touadera.
Earlier this week, long-promised national reconciliation talks began with no rebel groups invited, leading to a boycott by the opposition.
UN­HCR blamed in­ten­si­fy­ing vi­o­lence since a De­cem­ber 27 pres­i­den­tial vote for the sharp in­crease in refugees.
At­tacks by armed groups have in­creased in the Cen­tral African Re­pub­lic as the state of emer­gency is due to ex­pire.
Por­tal looks at what is go­ing on in the Cen­tral African Re­pub­lic and fea­tures per­son­al sto­ries of sur­vival and hope.
A per­pet­u­al cy­cle of vi­o­lence has led to a cat­a­stroph­ic hu­man­i­tar­i­an sit­u­a­tion for the CAR’s civil­ian pop­u­la­tion.
Follow Al Jazeera English:

source


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *